Swipe It Forward Queen’s
What is food insecurity?
The Dietitians of Canada defines food insecurity as “the inability to acquire or consume an adequate diet quality or sufficient quantity of food in socially acceptable ways, or the uncertainty that one will be able to do so”. Food insecurity can range from worry about running out of food and having a limited food selection, to missing meals, reducing food intake, or going without food for an entire day or longer due to lack of money for food.
39% of Canadian post-secondary students experience some degree of food insecurity. Swipe It Forward Queen’s is an initiative aimed at helping to address some of the food insecurity issue’s on campus through the donation of meals from students with meal plans. The program, which runs during the academic year, is designed to provide short-term, urgent support to students in need. It is accessible by a referral from program partners.
How does Swipe It Forward Queen’s work?
Students with a meal plan don’t always use all of their weekly allotment of meals – for example, they may be off-campus for a weekend, or choose to go out with friends. Swipe It Forward Queen’s gives them the option of donating 1 meal per day (up to 5 per semester) from the current week’s 19 meals. Note: meals must be from the current week’s allotment – past unused or future week’s meals cannot be donated. Students just let the cashier at a dining hall or retail outlet know that they want to Swipe it Forward. That meal will then be available to a student in need.
Please note that students who are already on meal plans are not eligible to be referred to the Swipe It Forward Queen’s program. If you are a student in need who is currently on a meal plan, please contact Hospitality Services to book an appointment with a member of the team to discuss your specific needs.
How can you access the program?
During the academic year, you can contact one of the Swipe It Forward program partners. If you are referred to the program, meals will be loaded on to your student card within 1-2 business days. You can use the meals in any dining hall, or purchase a Trade a Meal at any Hospitality Services retail food outlet on campus. Please be assured that when you use a redeem a meal/TAM, the cashier will not know that you received it from this program. Swipe it Forward meal plans expire at the end of the academic year.
How many meals can you get?
The program is intended to provide short-term support that is a complement to other resources on campus. Allocations will be made based on the specific situation, and students will also be provided with information about other services on campus, including:
- AMS Food bank
- Hospitality Services’ Registered Dietitian
- Student Awards
- Student Wellness Services
- Peer Support Centre
Please note: The maximum allotment for meals per term is 25 per student.
Two ways to verify your meal plan has been loaded
- Login to MyQueensU and click on the Student Residence Portal & Dining Portal.
- Ask a cashier at any retail or dining hall location for your meal plan balance.
Want to know more? Questions? Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org (monitored M-F 8:30-4:30)
The following program partners can provide a referral to the Swipe It Forward program.
*Check individual pages for hours of operation and whether appointments are offered in person or virtually.
- Student Wellness Services, Mitchell Hall, 1st Floor.
- Faith and Spiritual Life, 613-533-2186 | email@example.com
- Ban Righ Centre, 613-533-2976 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student Community Relations, 613-533-6745 | email@example.com
- Queen’s University International Centre (QUIC), 613-533-2604 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student Awards, 613-533-2216 | email@example.com
- An Clachan Community Coordinator, 613-533-2501 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Four Directions Indigenous Student Centre, 613-533-6970 | email@example.com
- Office of the Vice-Provost and Dean of Student Affairs, 613-533-6944 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Athletics and Recreation, 613-533-2500 | email@example.com
Need help navigating all available supports for students or deciding which program partner to contact about Swipe It Forward Queen’s? Email firstname.lastname@example.org