Incoming Student Resource Page
Your Queen’s Dining Experience
Disclaimer: Some retail locations may be limited this fall, but the dining hall(s) and select retail locations open to serve you. Our services will continue to provide a variety of healthy food options while keeping with recommendations from Kingston Public Health.
At Queen’s Hospitality, we love food, and we can’t wait to share our passion with you! With 23 retail locations and 3 dining halls across campus, we’ve got something you’ll love.
Find fresh, flavourful, and delicious food choices across campus. Whether you are looking for a full meal or tasty snack, you will have many options: plant-forward, vegan, vegetarian, Halal and gluten-free!
Your residence meal plan includes:
Your meal plan is automatically loaded onto your student card, and is activated on move-in day.
- 19 delicious meals per week. Find them conveniently at your choice of 3 on-campus all-you-care-to-eat dining halls.
- 200 Trade A Meals (TAM’s) – This meal plan flexibility gives you the option to eat 200 times in any of our 23 retail locations on campus. Look for the TAM logo on retail menus.
- 150 Flex $ dollars. At the start of the academic year, you will receive 150 Flex $ on your student card. Flex dollars work like a debit card at any of our 23 retail locations on campus. Swipe your card at any location for beverages, snacks, or meals. Need extra flex dollars? Not a problem; additional funds can be added at any time and in any amount through the student portal.
What we are doing at Hospitality Services to keep you safe in our locations:
Your meal plan includes 19 all-you-care-to-eat meals per week in our three dining hall.
Your meal plan works all over campus! Click here for more information on individual food locations on campus. Locations that are grey will not be open this fall, but this is subject to change.
At Queen’s University, we take allergies very seriously. We are committed to providing our students with safe and nutritious meals. We support students who require dietary accommodations by providing information and knowledge that is essential to make informed choices while dining on campus and participating in the university experience. We encourage all students to “Ask Before They Eat”. For information specific to dining with allergies or other dietary needs, please visit our allergy pages listed below.
Steps we encourage you to take:
- Complete Hospitality Services allergy intake form online here.
- Register here for the virtual Summer Orientation to Academics and Resources (SOAR) in July!
- Book a virtual appointment with our Hospitality Services’ Registered Dietitian through the summer months here (choose “Allergy/Dietary Needs Appointment for Future Students”)
- Appointments are also available throughout the academic year. These can be booked through the same link.
- Visit Hospitality Services website for information about dining safely with food allergies and other dietary needs at the links below:
- Hospitality Services Allergy Information
- Dining With Allergies at Queen’s
- Dietary Accommodations (including information on halal, kosher, vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free and other dietary needs)
- Dining Hall Allergy Station – where our chefs prepare foods that do not contain common allergens
- Gluten-Free Friendly Pantry for those with Celiac Disease and gluten sensitivity or intolerance
Meal Service for Sickness
If you are too ill or injured to access the dining hall, you may request that a meal or series of meals be picked up from the dining hall during dining hall hours on your behalf. Meals are then taken from your weekly allowance. Meal Service for Sickness forms can be found in the student portal. It is your responsibility to arrange for the meals to be picked up and brought to you at a time when you are present and that the dining hall cashier is informed; options for picking up meals include:
- A friend or roommate (provided they have their own meal plan)
- A Residence Don (if available)
- A Residence Life professional staff member (can be reached by calling the front desk and asking for the Residence Life Coordinator on-call to coordinate meal requests for sickness/injury).
Some Frequently Asked Questions
What dining halls and retail outlets will be open in September?
Queen’s Hospitality Services is developing an operations plan for the academic year to ensure that a variety of food services are available on campus, including some retail locations. In collaboration with local Public Health, we will ensure that our operations are able to meet appropriate physical distancing and health and safety guidelines. We will continue to work with students to ensure that all allergy and dietary needs are met.
What day does the meal plan begin?
The residence meal plan reset on Monday at 12:01 am. This means your weekly allotment of meals runs from Monday to end of day Sunday.
How do I add flex $ to my student card?
Your student card comes with $150 flex $ loaded on it at the beginning of the school year. If you would like to add more funds at any time, follow these steps:
- Sign into the Single sign-on student portal.
- on the right-hand side under Purchase funds, select flex $
- Enter the amount you would like to add to your card
- Select your method of payment and proceed to checkout
How do I look up my meal plan balance?
- Sign into the Single sign-on student portal.
- on the right-hand side you will see a box titled Available Funds. Here you will see your flex $ balance and meals
How do I find out what is being served in the dining halls?
For your convenience, we publish our weekly dining hall rotations on the Today’s Menu page on our website. This way you can plan which dining hall you want to eat at depending on what is being served!
How does my meal plan work at West Campus?
At Jean-Royce dining hall, the meal plan works a bit differently than the all-you-care-to-eat dining halls on the main campus.
Monday – Friday
Breakfast & Dinner = All-you-care-to-eat
Lunch = Not all-you-care-to-eat. Use your dining hall meal swipe on a specific meal identified by the symbol.
Barista = Use your dining hall meal swipe on a specific meal identified by the symbol.
Late Night Barista (7:30 pm – 12:00 am) = use a TAM on a specific meal item identified with the TAM symbol.
Brunch & Dinner = All-you-care-to-eat
Day barista = use your dining hall meal swipe on a specific meal identified by the symbol.
Late Night Barista (7:30 pm – 12:00 am) = use a TAM on specific meal items identified by the TAM symbol.
How do I use my TAM’s in your retail locations?
All of our outlets offer specially designated Trade A Meal items. Just look at the menus and posted posters for the TAM symbol. Let the cashier know that you’re using a TAM from your meal plan. If you would like to add a snack or single-serve item on top of your TAM item, you can use Flex $ or cash to make up the difference.
Still have questions?
Call us: 613-533-2953
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Stop in: Victoria Hall, Room E022