Frequently Asked Questions

Allergy and Dietary Needs

What do I do if I have a food allergy or dietary need? +

Hospitality Services accommodates a wide range of dietary needs including food allergies, dietary requirements for medical conditions and for those with religious observances, along with vegetarian and vegan diets.  Please visit our Dietary Needs, Dining with Allergies, or Dietary Accommodations pages for more information including how to book an appointment with our Registered Dietitian and/or Executive Chef.

Meal Plans:

How can I use my meal plan to make eating on-campus work with my busy schedule?

Hospitality Services has several options available that make eating on campus easy and convenient.

  • Use the Transact app to reserve your seat in the dining hall! Short on time? Skip the line!
  • Order your favorite TAM meals or flex snacks ahead of time from participating retail locations on campus, and choose your pick up time with the Transact app.
  • Plan ahead! Speed up your dining hall visit by looking at the menu ahead of time on the Today’s Menu page.
  • Opt for a select choice of Express meal to-go from any of our dining halls on campus! Dining hall EXPRESS MEALS-to-go ARE A MEAL SWIPE, not a TAM.
How many meal swipes can I use per day on the Residence or Weekly Meal Plan?

You can use up to 3 meal swipes per day and up to 4 TAM’s. Please note that TAM’s used will come off the weekly 19. 

For weekly meal plans, what day does the week begin? +

The weekly plans reset on Monday at 12:01 am. This means your weekly allotment of meals runs from Monday to end of day Sunday.

Is my meal plan tax exempt? +

Dining halls meal and Trade A Meals are tax exempt. Items purchased with Flex $ will  be taxed.

How many meals do you serve per week? +

Our dining halls are open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, Monday through Friday. On weekends, breakfast, brunch and dinner is available at Jean Royce and Leonard Dining Halls. We serve approximately 20,000 meals per week.

Is there a deadline to purchase my meal plan? +

Students on a Residence Meal Plan will be automatically enrolled in their meal plan upon acceptance of your residence offer. Off-campus meal plans can be purchased any time before March 30 each year. Off-campus meal plans will be pro-rated from the beginning of September.

Can I receive a refund for meals I did not use during the academic year? +

Trade A Meals (TAMs) allow you to “trade-in” one of your dining hall meals for a designated Trade a Meal special in retail locations on campus. TAMs are not additional meals on top of your dining hall meals. As such, they are not refundable and do not carry forward.  TAMS add flexibility to your meal plan, allowing you to eat some meals outside the dining halls, particularly when students are in classes in various buildings across campus. 

FLEX dollars, which are also part of the meal plan, DO carry over until you graduate.

Meal plans are non-refundable to meet Canadian tax regulations.

Why can’t my unused meals carry over to the next academic year? +

Canadian tax regulations require that a non-taxable meal plan have a defined term and be non-refundable.

How many weeks are there in a school year? +

The academic year is approximately 32 weeks long.

Are there specific ‘meal times’ in which I can use my meal plan? +

The dining halls do not have set meal periods. If you have a residence meal plan or are a Weekly meal plan holder, you may enter the Dining Halls at any time, up to 3 times per day, and up to 19 times per week. This allows students the flexibility to choose the times they eat and accommodate for busy class schedules. If you hold a Weekly plan and wish to eat more than 3 times per day, you may use a Trade A Meal or Flex $ to purchase a meal in retail. If you are still hungry after using your 3 dining hall meals, you are still able to use up to 4 TAM’s in retail. Please note that your TAM’s do come off your weekly 19 meals.

How does the meal plan work at West campus? +

At Jean-Royce dining hall, the meal plan works a bit differently than the all-you-care-to-eat dining halls on main campus.
Monday – Friday
Breakfast & Dinner = All-you-care-to-eat
Lunch = Not all-you-care-to-eat. Use your dining hall meal swipe on a specific meal identified by the symbol.
Barista = Use your dining hall meal swipe on a specific meal identified by the symbol.
Late Night Barista = use a TAM on a specific meal item identified with the TAM symbol.

Brunch & Dinner = All-you-care-to-eat
Day barista = use your dining hall meal swipe on a specific meal identified by the symbol.
Late Night Barista (7:30pm – 12:00am) = use a TAM on a specific meal items identified by the TAM symbol.

How do I purchase an Off-Campus Meal Plan? +

So you’re thinking about purchasing an Off-Campus Meal Plan. There are 3 ways you can do this:
1. Sign in to MyQueensU and click on the Student Residence & Dining Portal.
2. Fill out this form and deliver it to the Hospitality Services Office in Victoria Hall.
3. Need a bit more help? Come and see us and we will walk you through which option is best for your on-campus lifestyle! Find us at 75 Bader Lane, Victoria Hall, Room E022.

I still haven’t received my student card

If you have not yet received your student card, please email, with your student number, for information concerning your student card status update and any other additional information you need to submit before the student card process can begin.

Trade A Meals

What is a Trade A Meal ? +

Trade A Meals (TAMs) are a convenience option built into your meal plan that offer you an option to “trade-in” one of your dining hall meals for a designated combo meal in participating retail locations on campus. TAMs are not additional meals on top of your weekly 19 dining hall meals. As such, they are not refundable and do not carry forward. 

Does My Meal Plan have a Trade a Meal(TAM) option? +

Not all meal plans have the Trade a Meal option. Read the meal plan components carefully to choose the plan that works for you.

How do I use my Trade A Meals in your retail locations? +

All participating retail outlets offer specially designated Trade A Meal items. Just look at the menus and posted posters for the symbol. Let the cashier know that you’re using a TAM from your meal plan. If you would like to add a snack or single-serve item on top of your TAM item, you can use Flex $ or cash to make up the difference.

Flex $

What are Flex $? +

Flex $ can be purchased separately or could be included in your meal plan. If your meal plan includes Flex $, these are taxable funds we provide in addition to your meal plan as a bonus to start off the semester. These funds can be used to purchase retail single serve snacks such as pop, Fresh to Go items, and baked goods, or can be used to add onto a Trade A Meal.

Can I add Flex $ to my student card? +

Yes! You can add as little or as much money as you wish to your student card by ‘topping up’ your Flex $. You can add these funds online by logging in to the Student Residence & Dining Portal and click on the Purchase Funds option on the right-hand side. If you have any questions, please contact the main office at 613-533-2953

Do Flex $ Expire? Are they refundable? +

Unused Flex $ do not expire and funds can be carried over to the next academic year. These funds are refundable with a $50 administration fee. 

Dietitian & Allergy Appointment Buy Flex $
& Off-Campus Meal Plans